Jesse represents clients throughout Washington state on land use and environmental matters. His experience includes guiding clients through the land use permit and entitlement process and representing clients before administrative and judicial bodies. He counsels clients for compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations including the Shoreline Management Act, State Environmental Policy Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Growth Management Act, Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act, Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act, and city and county codes throughout Washington state. His clients range from large, multinational corporations to individual property owners.
- Included in the Washington Super Lawyers list in 2023, in the field of Environmental and the Washington Rising Stars list from 2017-2019, in the fields of Environmental Law, Natural Resources Law and Land Use and Zoning Law
Publications & Presentations
- ESA and EFH Consultation Approaches for Shellfish Farms. 2022 PCSGA Conference. Wenatchee, WA.
- Federal Permitting and Consultations in Washington State. Shoreline Permitting & Development in Washington State. The Seminar Group. June 2022. Seattle, WA.
- Federal Permitting and Consultations in Washington State. 2022 Environmental and Land Use Law CLE. Cle Elum, WA.
- Washington Land Use, Leasing, and Real Estate Considerations in Shellfish Farming, Speaker, 75th Annual Shellfish Growers Conference and Tradeshow, Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association and National Shellfisheries Association – Pacific Coast Section, September 20 – 22, 2021.
- COVID-19 Legislative Support for Shellfish Farmers. Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association, 74th Annual Shellfish Conference and Tradeshow, October 8, 2020.
- Update on Washington State and Federal Permitting. Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association, 74th Annual Shellfish Conference and Tradeshow, October 8, 2020.
- Shellfish Issues. Shoreline Development and Permitting in Washington State, Seattle, WA, June 6 & 7, 2019.
- Schoof, R.A. and DeNike, J., 2017. Microplastics in the Context of Regulation of Commercial Shellfish Aquaculture Operations. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, Vol. 13, No. 3, 522-527.
- Permitting Strategies in Anticipation of Appeals, Co-Presenter. Permitting Strategies for Large, Controversial Projects in Washington State and the Northwest, Seattle, WA, March 3, 2017.
- West Coast Aquaculture Permitting: Trials of a Convoluted Regulatory Environment. Aquaculture America 2017, San Antonio, TX, February 22, 2017.
- Shellfish Aquaculture Regulation Presentation, Salish Sea Ecosystem Conference, 2014.
- Ecosystem Services Presentation, Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association Annual Conference, Vancouver, WA, September 23, 2014.
- An Overview of Aquaculture Permitting in California, Oregon and Washington, Panel Member & Speaker, 67th Annual Shellfish Conference and Tradeshow, Pacific Coast Shellfish Growers Association (PCSGA) and National Shellfisheries Association (NSA) – Pacific Coast Section, Sunriver, OR, September 30 – October 3, 2013.
- DeNike, J.G., Co-Author, Washington Lawyer’s Practice Manual, SEPA section (2012 update).
- DeNike, J.G., Author, Washington Lawyer’s Practice Manual, Affordable Housing section (2012 update).
- DeNike, J.G., Co-Author, Washington Lawyer’s Practice Manual, SEPA section (2011 update).
- DeNike, J.G., Co-Author, Washington Lawyer’s Practice Manual, SEPA section (2010 update).
- DeNike, J.G., Author, Summer 2009. Discretion and Certainty: Land Use Regulations and the Vagueness Doctrine, American Bar Association State & Local Law News, Vol. 32, No. 4.
- DeNike, J.G. Co-Author, December 2008. Landmark Preservation: Opportunities and Obstacles, Washington State Bar Association Environmental & Land Use Law Newsletter, Vol. 35, No. 3.
- Speaker, West Mountain Regional Clinic Conference, Thomas Jefferson Law School, San Diego, CA, October, 2007.